LEADER is a form of Community-Led Local Development (CLLD). Through a process of stakeholder engagement, building the capacity of target groups and co-operation, the problems faced and opportunities available to an area are recognised and potential solutions are piloted.
Activities under LEADER must be consistent with at least one of the five LEADER themes for Wales:
- adding value to local identity and/or natural and/or cultural resources
- facilitating pre-commercial development, business partnerships and short supply chains
- exploring new ways of providing non-statutory local services
- renewable energy at community level
- exploitation of digital technology.